For GIST Awareness Day, to celebrate our theme of #GISTHope, we’re asking you to spread the word about GIST on social media and out in the world.
We’re painting rocks with #GISTHope on them and posting everywhere we can and making signs too. What will you create? Whatever you choose, post with the hashtag #GISTHope and please, send us photos of your creations in progress and as you share them. You can send photos to Mary Garland, Director of Communications, email@example.com
You can use any acrylic or latex paints that you have around the house or you can buy inexpensive supplies online at Michaels or Walmart. Some suggested brands are: Craft Smart Acrylic Paint, Americana, or Delta Ceramacoat (these vary in price). Any inexpensive acrylic paint will do.
- Rocks – get creative and make it adventure to find some great rocks. Also available at craft stores or garden supply stores.
- A white colored pencil or a china marker for drawing letters
- A palette – a white styrofoam or plastic/paper plate
- Small brushes for painting
- Paints: Orange, Neon Blue or Bright Blue, Light Gray (or a little black & white to make grey)*
- Mod Podge Gloss or Americana Dura Clear Satin Varnish
*Colors and materials are suggestions only. Please use what’s on-hand or be as creative as you like with fonts and colors!
- Make sure rocks are clean and completely dry before drawing
- Draw on letters lightly with colored pencil. Perfection is not the goal; communication is.
- Shake paint well and squeeze a small amount onto palette. Fill in letters with the appropriate colors allowing first coat to dry before painting a second layer (if needed)
- Allow paint to dry for a few hours before applying varnish layer. Cover letters well and let dry before moving.
- Pick an appropriate location to photograph your creation (feel free to photography you and your friends!)
- Post with hashtag #GISTHope on July 13th/
- Find a home for your #GISTHope rock where others will see it and ask “What is GIST?”
You can also make #GISTHope poster/signs to carry with you if you go on a Virtual GIST DO IT Walk. Check out all of our Virtual Life Fest Events happening July 10-13th.